Sunday, July 25, 2010

4th Year Overnighter



July 14th and 15th, the Stake Camp Director and I took a group of 11 YW from Panguitch and Circleville area to St. George for an overnight activity. The young women were all 4th year girls at camp this year and we let them plan their adventure activity. And what an adventure it turned out to be!
We left Panguitch and headed to St. George to do baptisms for the dead. Here's where the miracles begin. A couple of weeks before we left, we made reservations with the temple. They let us know we would be needing to bring our own names for baptisms. I felt my heart drop! How on earth would we enough names for our girls to have a temple experience? After many (really) phone calls, I secured about 4 names while the other leader from Circleville secured 25 names. I thought how would we ever get enough names for the girls to do? Our prayers were finally answered when a woman here in Panguitch called me and said she heard we needed names. We ended up with 65 names! Enough to do the baptisms!
After the temple, we headed to the Washington Rec Center to swim. Needless to say, my AC went out and the temp was 117 degrees! Dropping the girls off to swim, I went to find a shop that could fix my van and was just able to find a spot right before 5 pm! Another miracle. They were able to get me on my way by the next day. Nancy was generous enough to bring me over her van to shuttle girls around for the rest of our trip.
We were able to spend a comfortable night in my nephew's wife's sister's house (got that?) in St. George. A really beautiful home that the girls really felt pampered in!
Later that night after dinner Sherida and I treated the girls to a pedicure night, visited with them about Christ's service in washing the disciples feet and then walked around the temple. Here another miracle, or just a wonderful experience. We were there so late that a gentleman was closing the gates. He visited with our Young Women and let them ask him questions about the temple and it's history. A really nice ending to our night. Well almost... I guess the girls really didn't end their night until about 2 am!
The next morning, to thank the sisters from our stake who helped provide us with names, Sherida and I headed back to the temple the next morning to do the initiatory for as many names as we could do in 2 hours. We were able to do 28 of the names.
We headed back to our little homes happy, fulfilled in our service, and grateful for the fun time we had! Needless to say, my camera was missing. Please fill in the narrative with your own imagination! We have a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment