Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ahhhhh . . .

 Moccasin has to be one of my most favorite places to be.  In fact if you offered me a trip to Hawaii or a trip to Moccasin, I would seriously have to think about it.  Well, maybe not for long, I'd still go to Hawaii.  But if you told my all my family would be out at Moccasin and then offer me the trip to Hawaii, I would have to think even harder (though I would still take the trip to Hawaii!).  That's what happened this week.  Mom called on Sunday to ask what we were doing on Monday - Memorial Day.  I said we were going to go hike somewhere.  She then let me know that 3 of my siblings and their families would be at Moccasin.  No problem!  We were going to Moccasin!  I love that place! 
 One of my favorite aspects of Moccasin is the rock work my dad has done for years around the place.  It's amazing to me his ability to imagine how it's going to look and to actually carry it out!  Above is Leighton playing on one of 3 stairways to the lower garden.  McKenna was wonderful and had gone out the week before to spend some time cleaning the house.  This time, she spent time outside with the other cousins sweeping the rock walks and cleaning out debris from the garden beds.   Below is another walk way to the lower garden. 



 McKenna and Leighton have started finally forming a bond.  Leighton will actually go to McKenna now and has started trying to say her name...Nenna.  However - yesterday McKenna took a step backwards in her progress with Leighton when she went and got her hair cut and lightened.  Totally different look and Leighton is not sure about it!
Mmmmm.  Hard work!  I think I will just stand here and take a break!

No trip out to Moccasin with all these kids would be complete without a few games after work has been done.  Red rover was one of the favorites!



Not that we spent all that much time on dinner.  Hot dogs for the crew and a couple of roasted anaheim peppers for mom!

Mom and Dad - need I say more!  I love these two!

2 comments:

  1. I felt a little tug of homesickness while reading this post. I love that Mom and Dad gave us such a great - well I was going to say experience, but I will settle for history. It wasn't too fun weeding the garden, putting drops of oil on each and every ear of corn on the stalks or picking green beans. There was a time when we rebelled and insisted we go somewhere else during a school break. I do however, love all the memory of gathering with family, feeling good about finishing a work project or two and visiting in the shade of the walnut tree. It seems almost impossible that I will get to do that again, but I am sure I will.

    I did grow to appreciate all the hard work when I could count my own jars of applesauce, peaches,or green beans.... Those home canned fruits and vegetables sure spoiled me. I have a few jars of green beans left and I weep a little every time I open one more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss that place. It is kind of crazy to think that there are that many kids still enjoying all the adventures Moccasin has to offer! I hope that someday I can go back there with my own kids . I know they would love it there. Getting dirty and working hard!

    ReplyDelete