Thursday, June 23, 2011

A fishing tale....

 The other day Garrett asked Jeff to hang some hooks in his room where he could hang his fishing rod.  He had already hung two of Jeff's cork handled fly rods and wanted a place to put his own spinner rod.  Leighton picked up the rod and decided to do a little fishing of her own and looked what she reeled in!  I offered to take it out myself  - I've seen it done a time or two in the ER, but Jeff opted for the doctor. 
 I consented, not knowing if it was in his eye or just in the eyelid.  Dr. Miller numbed up the site and proceeded to cut off the other barbs and then nipped the skin where the barb had just entered the flesh and the rest of the hook fell out. 
 All that was left was a tiny wound where the barb had entered.  All is well!  Actually the most interesting part of the whole thing (besides the hospital co-workers getting a good chuckle out of it all) was when Dr. Miller injected the eyelid with lidocaine.  I have seen skin "bleb" up so to speak hundreds of times but never an eyelid!  The skin was so thin that it looked like a massive blister about ready to pop.  It was so cool!  I wanted to just poke at his eye to watch the fluid move it that little pocked but I resisted ... well, actually ... Jeff wouldn't let me!  Darn it - oh well - it was interesting being on the patient side of things when I am usually on the nursing side of it all - I guess I did do his charting and paperwork - so maybe this time I was on both sides of it all!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe he his smiling in the pictures. That looks so painful! At least it didn't get his eyeball, that would have been bad!

    ReplyDelete