Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Rachel Finch, RN, BS, C-EFM

September 12:

  Part of my job at the hospital is helping to deliver babies.  Truly it is one of my favorite hats I get to wear at the hospital.  That and trauma.  Yes I am a little bit of an adrenaline junkie!  This year Intermountain Health Care decided to go from AWHONN (Association of Women's Health Obstetrical and Neonatal Nurses) to EFM (Electronic Fetal Monitoring).  Basically it goes from a training course to a nationally certified credential in reading fetal monitors during labor and delivery.  It even changes my title at the hospital to Rachel Finch, RN, BS, C-EFM!  Kindof a big deal.  
  Anyways, earlier this year as IHC started preparing it's nurses to take the exam, I would get emails about test taking techniques, stress relief techniques, etc.  I thought this was a bit overkill.  Testing has pretty much been easy for me, I don't stress about it a lot. But as time drew near, my anxiety started reaching above and beyond my comfort level.  I started to take this test more seriously and wonder if I wanted to do labor and delivery at all!  
  Needless to say - it was the hardest test I have ever taken in my life!!!  Even harder than RN boards!  Wow!  Two hours of intimate, personal time with a test booklet!  Earlier in the week a good friend, Vonnie Parkin dropped off a dark Milky Way bar and spinach.  She had read that these two items improved brain function and memory.  Thanks Vonnie!  I made green smoothies and indulged in the chocolate willingly! Dark is my favorite!
  One month later - on my birthday to be accurate - I received news that I had passed!  Whew!  The results aren't given in percentage scores, they are given in strength.  Physiology - Average, Fetal Heart Rate Interpretation and Intervention - Average, and EFM Equipment, Adjunct Fetal Assessment and Legal Aspect - Strong.  Glad I passed!  The chocolate and spinach must have helped!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment